Badges appear on user profiles and are a great way to reward your community. People love collecting badges!
Badges are managed from
/admin/content_manager/badges, where they can be created, awarded, and removed.
Click Create Badge and you'll open form with the following fields:
- Title: name of badge (a badge's link is auto-generated based on the title, e.g. the title Slug of Badge would generate the link
- Description: the description that appears when a user is awarded the badge
- Badge Image: upload an image of your badge
- Credits Awarded: number of credits awarded to a user after they were awarded the badge
Most badges are awarded manually via
/admin/content_manager/badge_achievements by clicking the Award Badge button. To award a badge:
- Badge: Select the name of badge to be awarded
- Usernames: List the usernames of each user that should receive the badge in a comma-separated format.
- Override Default Message: The default message is the badge description, but you can override that message by adding a custom one here.
- Click Award Badges
Forems come loaded with a default set of badges that get awarded automatically.
Examples types of badges from DEV:
- Contributor Badges: the DEV Contributor badge is awarded after a PR is merged into the DEV open open-source repo
- Anniversary Badges: the 1-year, 2-year, 3-year badges are awarded on the anniversaries of a community member join date
- Streak Badges: the 4-week, 8-week, and 16-week streak badges are awarded for publishing a post in consecutive weeks
- Top Post by Tag Badges: various badges are awarded for the author with the most popular article in a specific tag
- Beloved Comment: this badge is awarded automatically for any comment that reaches a certain threshold of positive reactions
The following badges can be awarded automatically. To do so, be sure to set up a badge using a matching Slug by matching the exact formating of the Badge Name in the table below.
For the top post by tag badges, the Forem admin will need to create a badge and associate it with a tag.
Here's a comprehensive list of the badges' slugs to recreate:
|Badge Name||Badge Slug||Note|
|DEV Contributor||dev-contributor||This is not generalized. This relates strictly to the DEV Open source repo.|
|X Year Badge||X-year-club||N/A|
|X Streak Badge||X-week-streak||capped at 16 weeks, must be 2,4,8,16|
|Tag Badge||slug of the tag||associate the badge with a tag via /admin/badges|
|Beloved Comment||beloved-comment||Automatically awards a badge if someone's comment reaches 25 likes|
If you followed the instructions to award a badge and realize too late that you've awarded the badge to the wrong person, don't worry! Although we would generally recommend allowing someone to keep a casual community badge that has been erroneously awarded, if it's an exclusive award you may opt to remove it. To do this, navigate to
https://dev.to/admin/content_manager/badge_achievements or click on Badge Achievements from the main Badges page, locate the recipient, and click Remove.
Please note: If you remove a badge that your Forem is configured to automatically award, it will be re-awarded automatically.